AfDB Approves $200M for Namibian Transport Infrastructure Improvement Project

On 31 October 2023, the Board of the #AfDB approved a loan of USD 196.43 million for the Government of Namibia to implement the 2nd phase of its Transport Infrastructure Improvement Project (#TIIP).

The amount from AfDB contribute 51.8% to the project’s total cost, while the Government of Namibia will make up for the remaining 48.2%. Previously, the AfDB also financed the renovation of the 210-km railway between Walvis Bay and Kranzberg.

It is worth noting that the TIIP is aligned with #Vision2030, the long-term National Development Plan (#NDP) of Namibia. The objective of #TIIP is to upgrade the logistical value chain of Namibia by addressing transport infrastructure bottlenecks.

“The project will maximize the benefits and be transformative for the competitiveness of Namibia and assist in attaining the Vision of the country becoming a regional logistics hub by 2030 while catalyzing development change in neighboring countries and the sub-region. This project will also connect Namibia to Africa’s Copper Belt, and achieve regional railway #connectivity.”

AfDB DG Southern Africa Leila Mokaddem

In fact, the project entails the construction of a 207-km rail track close to the existing Kranzberg-Otjiwarongo line. The segment also involves 16 bridges and two stations. At the same time, the signaling system along the Walvis Bay-Tsumeb line will be upgraded to improve its reliability, safety and capacity.

Eventually, the railway lines will extend regionally into Angola, Botswana and South Africa. On a related note, it is worth recalling that during the recent Global Gateway Forum 2023 (#GGF2023), the EU and other partners agreed to develop the #LobitoCorridor which takes as its starting point, the Lobito Port in Angola.

Namibia Key Rail Lines

In 2018, AfDB also approved funding to the tune of USD 240 million for the expansion of the Container Terminal at Walvis Bay Port. The series of financing is in line with the #NDP to render the Namibian economy more attractive and competitive by providing excellent infrastructure and competitive transport costs.